The Fresh Frut and Vegetable Program (FFVP) provides all children in participating schools with a variety of free fresh fruit and vegetables during the school day. It is an effective way of introducing fresh fruits and vegetables as healthy snack options. According to the federal regulations, the school selection criteria to participate in the FFVP are as follows:
- Only elementary schools may participate.
- Represent the highest percentage of students certified for free and reduced price benefits.
- Complete an annual application.
The 2016-2017 Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Participants are:
- Fred Becker Elementary School
- Dr. Walter Cunningham School for Excellence
- Highland Elementary School
- Irving Elementary School
- Kittrell Elementary School
- Lincoln Elementary School
- Lowell Elementary School
The program is seen as an important tool used to combat childhood obesity by helping children to learn more about healthy eating habits. The goal of the program is to create a healthier school environment by providing healthier food choices by:
- Expanding the variety of fruits and vegetables children experience
- Increase children’s fruit and vegetable consumption
- Make a difference in children’s diets to impact their present and future health